Resources & FAQ's

  What to do if you're involved in an auto accident:

1. Call a law enforcement officer, 911. Even in what seems to be a minor accident with no serious injury or significant property damage, notify the authorities immediately. An officer’s accident report may be necessary if a claim for liability is filed.

2. What to do at the scene of the accident.

  • In South Carolina, drivers involved in an auto accident must stop their vehicles at the scene of the accident or as closely as possible without obstructing traffic.
  • If someone is seriously injured, make arrangements for medical assistance immediately. Call 911. Do not try to move an injured person. Good intentions on your part may result in further injury.
  • Take all precautions to prevent further accidents and ensure the safety of those involved. If possible station someone to warn oncoming traffic and use flares or flashlight if available.

3. Obtain the name, address, insurance information and driver’s license number of the other driver. Obtain a copy of the investigating officer’s report if possible. Do this even if you are a passenger.

4. Obtain names of witnesses. Get the names and addresses of all witnesses. After writing down their names, try to get statements of what happened and what they saw. The investigating officer may also ask for this information.

5. Remain at the scene. Unless injuries make it necessary for you to leave the scene, remain there until you have completed all the following:

  • Call police or highway patrol (911)
  • Assist the injured
  • Move your vehicle to the side
  • Identify the other driver
  • Get names, addresses and statements from witnesses
  • Make notes and obtain accident report
  • Make a diagram of the accident

  What to do if you're injured on the job:

1. Immediately report the accident and injury to a supervisor.

2. When reporting the accident, note the time, place and circumstance of the accident.

3. Report the extent of the injury.

4. List any witnesses to the accident.


  Frequently Asked Questions about Family Law:

1. How long does it take to obtain a divorce?

In South Carolina, a no-fault divorce may be filed with the court after the parties have been separated for one year, without living with each other. Fault-based divorces (ones based on fault of one of the parties) take less time. A final hearing in a fault-based divorce can be held as soon as 90 days from the date of filing.

2. What are the grounds for divorce in South Carolina?

In South Carolina, you may file for immediate divorce only if you can show that your spouse has committed adultery, is addicted to drugs or alcohol, or has been physically abusive. I can explain the precise legal implications of each of these grounds for divorce.

3. How can I apply for custody of my children?

In divorce cases where there is an issue over which of the divorcing parents should get primary custody of the child or children, the court will appoint a guardian to represent the interests of the children and to evaluate the relative fitness of each parent. I can guide you through this process so that your strengths as a parent are fully presented and fairly considered.

4. What happens to our property and ther shared assets?

If you and your spouse jointly owned involves complex assets such as a family business, real estate investment holdings, or a professional practice, you need a lawyer experienced in the appraisal and valuation of marital property. I will help you protect your rights and ensure that the allocations of assets in any divorce settlement are fairly determined.

5. What should I do to prepare for a divorce?

Contemplating divorce is a difficult process. Whether or not you are sure you want to end your marriage, it helps to learn the basics of divorce law. Should you conclude that divorce is necessary, it is important to seek the assistance of an experienced family law attorney. If you have any questions about this proces, contact David Wood Law.

If the spouses can reach agreement on these issues, then the divorce is uncontested. If, however, the spouses cannot agree, the divorce is contested. The spouses may go to trial to resolve the issues. This usually means that a family court judge will make the final decisions. Alternatives to going to court include mediation, arbitration and collaborative divorce. Some courts may even order the spouses to attempt to resolve their differences through alternative dispute resolution.

6. Do I need an attorney to obtain a divorce?

The decision to end a marriage is an emotionally challenging process. It is in your best interest to undestand divorce from a rational, businesslike perspective. Working with an experienced family law attorney will help you get through the process and begin your new life.

  Top Of Page